Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Basic Pie Crust Recipe


I thought I would share a pie crust recipe that I found!!  (Pictured above is an apple pie I baked this morning...my first attempt at a lattice crust!)

I found this recipe at econobusters.com - an AWESOME website on how to live frugally and smart!

(I have learned though through my experiences with pie crusts - IT PAYS TO HAVE A PASTRY BLENDER!!  For the longest time I did not have one and always tried the two knives method (which is not easy) and my crusts never turned out quite right.  I got one of the pastry blenders (realized that you can get them at Wal-Mart for about $5!!) and what a difference it made!!  My two knives never got to the crumb consistancy that a pastry blender can do!!  It makes a much better, MUCH better crust!

Anyways - that is just my tidbit of advice :-).  Here is the recipe - enjoy!!


The Best Pie Crust
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/4 cups shortening, cold
1 egg, cold
1 Tbsp. vinegar, cold
5 Tbsp. cold water
sugar
Mix flour, salt and sugar in a bowl. Cut in shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives. Add egg, vinegar and 3 tablespoons water. Mix lightly. If dough is too dry, add more water. Mix with hands. Don’t overmix. Mix just until the dough sticks together. Divide into thirds. Roll out to make 3 pie crusts. When using the crust for the top of the pie sprinkle sugar on top. Crust can be frozen in balls and then defrosted and rolled out when ready to use. Makes 3 crusts.

(oh and by the way - the pie pictured above is an apple pie.  I used the sugar free apple pie filling (made with Splenda) and sprinkled some extra cinnamon and nutmeg on top of the filling to give it more of a homemade taste!)

Enjoy!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...