I had so much fun with my ruffle shirt yesterday that I thought to try some more! :-) (I have several shirts to refashion...I did one today). Today I decided to try my own design :-) I had in mind kind of what I wanted and just went from there, piecing it as I went. I was very pleased with the results!
I started with a long sleeved white t-shirt that fits but has stains on it. I was going to make it short sleeved but when I laid it out to see everything I noticed a hole in the shoulder seam. Oh well, I just made it a tank top instead :-)
To make the ruffles I had a white jersey knit pillowcase. I have had it forever...don't really know where it came from because I don't have any matching sheets LOL but for some reason have just held it in my drawer. I guess it was just waiting to be transformed into something fabulous!! :-)
I made strips 4 inches in width and as long as the side of the pillowcase (don't know what that measurement was, sorry). I marked lines on my shirt with my fabric chalk starting at the armpit area and then every 3 inches down. I gathered my strips and and pinned them on the lines and then sewed them on. I started at the bottom and sewed up.
Here is a picture of the middle of the process. You can see a couple of rows sewn on the bottom and if you look really really close you can see the light blue lines on the shirt.
When I finished all the rows I knew I needed to do something to finish off the top. I decided to make flowers to put across the top.
I used the instructions from this ruffle shirt post (her instruction for the corsage) and put a row of 6 flowers across the top of the top ruffle!
I was really pleased with the results.
Here I was trying to get a picture myself.
And then decided I needed help so I got my hubby to help. I told him not to worry about my head because I would cut it out...he told me that my online friends need to see my face...oh well...here it is. And look Alyssa saw a camera and had to get in the picture :-)